It’s Gonna Be a Gasser!

Model Car Building

I can’t get enough of the 57 Chevy! I had a spare kit that I bought for parts, and even though I started a 1/12 scale Lotus 49 Formula One model, I couldn’t resist the urge to turn the spare kit into a barn find 60’s era gasser.

Here’s the inspiration car:

The engine will be a blown big block from a Corvette kit. I built a foam core jig to plan and measure all the fabrication I’ll need to do: a new front end sub frame and straight axle, a removable one piece hood and fenders, and a beefed up rear end.

Getting Into Door Jams.

Model Car Building

I ran into trouble when I glued the doors onto their hinges: the doors would not seal shut completely. So, using a strip of paper, I determined where the doors were binding and used a dremel tool to grind away plastic (and paint, ugh!) until they shut properly. After smoothing down the rocker panels, I added carpet extensions and bare metal foil to replicate door sill plates.

Getting There.

Model Car Building

The later stages of my 1/12 scale Monogram 57 Chevy model car build have been a wrestling match to get the body assembly to fit onto the frame. Unfortunately, the reed switches I attached to the bottom of the rocker panels got in the way. Poor planning and engineering. I had to grind a way some of the floor pan to make room. Here’s the progress with working lights and bare metal foil trim.

Blunder-full Build.

Model Car Building

Here’s the latest work on my 1/12 scale 1957 Chevy Belair model car. Adding the trim work has been a nightmare of ill-fitting parts. The rule is, you should always dry-fit everything, but sometimes in my eagerness I forget. I should have taken pictures of the left rear quarterpanel’s warped chrome trim. I attempted to heat up the parts and straighten them, but botched it. So, I ended up buying another kit for the parts. Also, the trunk lid wouldn’t close when I tried to attach it to the steel hinges I had made back when I roughed in the bodywork. I had to fabricate some new ones out of brass tubing so I could easily bend them to make the trunk fit snuggly. And, the rear bumper is wider than it should be, and there’s nothing solid to attach it to. I scratch built some styrene tabs and attached them to the inner fender wells to create something substantial to hold the bumper.

Now I’m doing the tedious wiring for all the lighting. I’m still working out where to hide the batteries and on/off switch.