Here’s the scratch-built dry sump oil tank for my 1/8 scale Briggs & Cunningham Jaguar E-Type Le Mans Racer.
This is what you have to do when you realize too late that the stock kit had a very unauthentic frame assembly and you have to scratch-build the missing components after you already have the engine and suspension in place. I did experiment with building and the subframe before mounting the engine (like a real car!), but the engine wouldn’t clear the firewall.
For those of you considering modifying the Revell or Monogram 1/8 scale Jaguar, talk to me! For the most part, it’s a pretty good kit, but many of the parts and subassemblies are toylike in design. I’m really becoming a proponent of building a kit twice, especially if you’re planning mods–once without painting to familiarize yourself with the stock models idiosyncrasies so that you can plan your build, and then the actual painted build. For this build, I had to really go against the order of assembly laid out in the instructions.
One other recommendation: Don’t be like me, and make it up as you go! Settle on the car you want to model and the level of detail you want include, then stick to the plan. I’ve always been impatient and too in a hurry to dive into a project, and I pay for it with a lot of rework.
Here’s a side-by-side comparison of my 1/8 scale Briggs & Cunningham Jaguar E-Type Le Mans Racing Coupe model interior and the actual car which is in a museum in Venice, Florida. Still a few things to add. Not happy with the steering wheel. I worked with the kit wheel by filling in the holes in the spokes, but I keep getting seams, and it cracked, and the spokes are too big. I’m debating about scratch building a new one.
Here’s the Lucas Fuel Injection system I’ve been working on. As I mentioned in my last post, I started this model with a vague sense of the level of detail I would add toward modeling the 1963ish Briggs & Cunningham Jaguar E-Type Le Mans Racing Coupe. Well, I went all in! That meant re-work on the engine. So, here you see the 3D printed manifold, carbs, and trumpets installed, and the progress on the fuel meter. As you can see, there will be individual fuel lines going from the meter to the manifold.
Here’s an update on the slow progress of my 1:8 Scale 1963 Briggs & Cunningham Jaguar E-Type Le Mans Racing Coupe model car. The big challenge with trying to replicate this historical car has been finding reference photos. And, I started the build before I really committed to modeling this particular car, so there has been some rework. Sometimes I’ve guessed on a particular detail only to find another photo online that shows I guessed wrong.
Here is the rear interior of the car. I had to reference some other cars of the era to figure out the fuel system.
I’m roughing out body contours and the sheet metal seems visible on the real car.
Front and rear subframe assemblies. I had to start over on the front clip because I painted it black instead of white.
And here’s another development: my wife got me a 3D printer for Christmas. So, I’m redoing the engine with more accurate components I can model and print now.
I’ll take more pics soon of some other parts of the model.
This is a tricky build. Because the Jaguar is a monocoque construction, I’m going to have to paint the body with the car assembled, or paint the subassemblies separately and deal with seams after putting it together. Also, I’m changing the car from a lefty to a righty, so I’ve basically scratch built a new dashboard. I’ll show pictures of that later.
Here’s the engine so far:
I still need to add fuel lines and additional accelerator linkage.
Finally got the hobby stuff all set up in the basement of our new home in Atlanta, so worked resumed on my 1/12 scale ‘57 Chevy Gasser model car. I still have some more to do: door jam detail, parachute cords and cable, and touch-ups. Boy has there been a lot of touch-ups! Since I make things up as I go with only a general plan—and I’m old—I make a lot of goofs.
Although frequently interrupted by guitar making, playing, and other projects, work on my Monogram 1/12 scale 57 Chevy Gasser continues. As usual, I continue to improvise around my sometimes poor planning and blunders. Ivory white body color is going on, soon to be rubbed down to expose lots of primer.
Here’s one of my latest projects: I built a speaker and amp head cabinet out of repurposed pine for my VHT Special 6 guitar amplifier. The speaker in the cabinet is a Celestion Greenback 25w. The finish is amber shellac, which is definitely not applied perfectly. Overall, I think it looks pretty cool and sounds warm and clear with just the right amount of breakup from the Greenback.
Is sticking with it. I started this illustration months ago. I had decided not to use the layers in Procreate (for iPad) but render it like a real painting using a wet brush on one layer. But after I got all the color blocked in I hated it. Color and tonality was very different than this. Too bright with no dynamics or drama. Yet, I liked the general composition, so, I re-sketched some of it and started over. As you can see, I’m in love with Edward Hopper’s work.