I’m scratch-building an exhaust system to replace the stock piece that, I’m guessing because I have no reference photos, is not accurate for the real race car. Plus, there would be no mufflers to impede that exhaust! The stock kit exhaust chambers are right, so I will integrate them at the end of the new pipes. I have no idea what the real mounting brackets look like, so I made something up. To me, painting exhaust is always fun. I love the challenge of getting an aged, burnt look with a little bit of rust in some joints.
Application of the white color coat has been a challenge. The Dupli-Color paint doesn’t seem to like the primer I used. I really couldn’t get a smooth coat and I got some crazing in some places. So, I wet sanded the problem spots and forged on to get pretty decent coats. You’ll notice that I rigged my small paint booth to better accommodate the 1:8 scale size.
Next comes a clear top coat, which is going to be Futura floor finish.
I’ve made a correction to the break system: I had left off the dedicated rear master cylinder (I couldn’t see it in the reference photos I had), so I had to scratch-build another one and add it the assembly. Accelerator linkage has also been added, along with what I think is a fuel filter and a break fluid overflow canister. On the other side of the engine compartment I’ve installed the windshield wiper fluid reservoir and pump.
Here’s the installation of the brake master cylinder and steering systems in my 1/8 scale 1962 Briggs & Cunningham Jaguar E-Type Le Mans Racing Coupe model car. The break fluid canisters were in the kit, and it was hard to make the clear plastic look like semi-transparent, aged white plastic. the steering system is scratch-built.
This is the scratch-built competition brake master cylinder assembly I just completed for my 1/8 scale 1962 Briggs & Cunningham Jaguar E-Type Le Mans Racing Coupe model car. Next, I’ll add a little black-washing for grime, then attach break lines. Once the assembly is glued into place, I’ll have to fish the lines through the car and attach them to clips with fittings where the hard lines connect to soft lines that go to the wheels.
This is what you have to do when you realize too late that the stock kit had a very unauthentic frame assembly and you have to scratch-build the missing components after you already have the engine and suspension in place. I did experiment with building and the subframe before mounting the engine (like a real car!), but the engine wouldn’t clear the firewall.
For those of you considering modifying the Revell or Monogram 1/8 scale Jaguar, talk to me! For the most part, it’s a pretty good kit, but many of the parts and subassemblies are toylike in design. I’m really becoming a proponent of building a kit twice, especially if you’re planning mods–once without painting to familiarize yourself with the stock models idiosyncrasies so that you can plan your build, and then the actual painted build. For this build, I had to really go against the order of assembly laid out in the instructions.
One other recommendation: Don’t be like me, and make it up as you go! Settle on the car you want to model and the level of detail you want include, then stick to the plan. I’ve always been impatient and too in a hurry to dive into a project, and I pay for it with a lot of rework.
Here’s a side-by-side comparison of my 1/8 scale Briggs & Cunningham Jaguar E-Type Le Mans Racing Coupe model interior and the actual car which is in a museum in Venice, Florida. Still a few things to add. Not happy with the steering wheel. I worked with the kit wheel by filling in the holes in the spokes, but I keep getting seams, and it cracked, and the spokes are too big. I’m debating about scratch building a new one.
Here’s the Lucas Fuel Injection system I’ve been working on. As I mentioned in my last post, I started this model with a vague sense of the level of detail I would add toward modeling the 1963ish Briggs & Cunningham Jaguar E-Type Le Mans Racing Coupe. Well, I went all in! That meant re-work on the engine. So, here you see the 3D printed manifold, carbs, and trumpets installed, and the progress on the fuel meter. As you can see, there will be individual fuel lines going from the meter to the manifold.
This is a tricky build. Because the Jaguar is a monocoque construction, I’m going to have to paint the body with the car assembled, or paint the subassemblies separately and deal with seams after putting it together. Also, I’m changing the car from a lefty to a righty, so I’ve basically scratch built a new dashboard. I’ll show pictures of that later.
Here’s the engine so far:
I still need to add fuel lines and additional accelerator linkage.